The Do’s & Don’ts of Natural Stone Cleaning
At Strassburger Tile Perfection, we believe natural stone is a beautiful addition to any home or business. With the right maintenance and upkeep, natural stone can be a long-lasting surface for years to come.
Natural Stone Cleaning Do’s
- Clean the natural stone surface of any dust, grit and sand with a dust mop on a regular basis. Any debris left on the surface can scratch the natural stone.
- Use a mild detergent, pH neutral cleaner or stone soap when cleaning the surface.
- Before and after washing, thoroughly rinse and dry the surface with clean water.
- Clean up spills immediately after they occur to prevent stains.
- Keep natural stone floors protected with non-slip mats or area rugs.
- Keep natural stone countertops protected with coasters, trivets and placemats.
- In addition to daily cleanings, periodically do a deep cleaning.
- Clean bathroom vanity tops with cleaners intended for natural stone. Apply a sealer if needed.
- Use a squeegee after using your natural stone shower to prevent soap scum buildup.
- For mirrors located above a natural stone countertop, clean them with a natural stone cleaning solution.
- Clean stains with detergent and a poultice if necessary.
Natural Stone Cleaning Don’ts
- Never use cleaning agents like lemon juice, vinegar or other acid-based cleaners on marble, limestone, travertine or onyx surfaces.
- Never use acid-based cleaners like bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub & tile cleaners.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners like dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- Never mix bleach and ammonia, and never mix other chemicals unless directed specifically to do so.
- Don’t use worn vacuum cleaners as the attachments or wheels can scratch the natural stone’s surface.
- Don’t place hot items directly on the natural stone’s surface.
- Never use scouring powders or creams.
- Don’t clean natural stone with ammonia-based cleaners; this can dull the stone over time.
- Don’t paint your nails or use other chemicals near your natural stone countertop.
If your natural stone is beyond cleaning, consider natural stone restoration from Strassburger Tile Perfection. We service all of Southern Ontario![button link=”https://grouttilerestoration.ca/services/natural-stone-floor-tile-restoration/”]Natural Stone Restoration[/button]